COVID-19 TASK FORCE
Convener-IGP Young Greens
PURPOSE OF THE TASK FORCE
- Spread awareness about Corona virus
- Persuade Government to take necessary Steps
- Proactive Steps of the Task Force
- Awareness on COVID-19 via social media
- Report government on the present unforeseen conditions
- Posting recent updates of Corona Virus Pandemic
- Address Fake news pandemic
- Lessons from Italy, China and South Korea.
- Proper Communication
- Productive being at home
- Prevention of Disease
Persuade Government to take necessary Steps
- Ensure Accountability of the Government
- Science and Technology
- Catering to the needs of the Migrants
- Addressing Daily Wage Earners
- Questions raised to the Government
- Infrastructure Development
- Looking beyond just Diagnosis and Quarantine
- Criticism of Government
- Measures to be taken by the Government
- Package of Social Security Measures
- Healthcare System in India
- Economic Spinoffs of the Economy
- Addressing a wounded economy
- Lockdown and beyond
- Feed Stray Animals.
- Prepare a team of volunteers and give them training on COVID-19.
- Prepare the Contingency plan-if Systems & Institutions collapse.
- Conduct Training.
- Developing Content on Coronavirus
- Motivation-Healthcare Workers and Volunteers
- Role of Frontline Workers
- Fund raising-Private Sector and Citizens
AWARENESS ON COVID-19 VIA SOCIAL MEDIA:
Spreading factual information
- Stages of Disease
- Signs and Symptoms
- Spread & Transmission of COVID 19.
- Personal protective Equipment
- Prevention of Disease
Find mechanisms to stop rumors
- Myths and Facts
- Stop superstition and populism
- Beating saucers andbangingbells won’t help to make the virus disappear
Providing support for correct techniques
- Hand washing with soap
- Increase in price of the commodities by sellers
- Police Violence
- Tragedy of daily Wage Earners
POSTING RECENT UPDATES OF CORONA VIRUS PANDEMIC:
- Total Cases, Death Tolls
- Police Violence
- Supply of essential goods
- Utilization of Disaster Management Relief Fund
- Quarantine Measures
- Plight of Migrants
ADDRESS FAKE NEWS PANDEMIC:
- Misleading claims on supposed cures
- Medicine sales pitches
- Conspiracy theories about the outbreak.
- Instructions for individuals to stock up on supplies and food
- Public should be more vigilant
- Prompts urging users to consider the accuracy of content
- Stronger action to stop misinformation
LESSONS FROM ITALY, CHINA & SOUTH KOREA:
- Late and insufficient response by Italy
- Government failed to communicate the threat
- powerfully enough to persuade Italians to abide by the lockdown rules
- Measures to isolate affected areas and limit the movement of the broader population
- Strict social distancing regulations
- Use of technology: tracking of whether they visited a high-risk zone.
- Public health over civil liberties
- Mobilization of state resources: Installation of temperature checkpoints
- Aggressive testing
- Service readiness
- Human resource management
- Research and development
- Preparing for Critical care
- Frontline workers provide Disease counseling
- FLWs to provide relevant information on the COVID-19 Awareness
- Ensure functional COVID Task force Activities
- Ensure orientation and training of health facility service providers
- Importance of hand washing with soap at critical times
- Information on Steps taken by government and incentives
- Use of positive deviants, especially women/mothers-in-law to talk to other families in village
PRODUCTIVE BEING AT HOME
- Learn New Skills
- Enrich your Hobbies
- Exercise and Meditation
ENSURE ACCOUNTABILITY OF GOVERNMENT:
- Government-appeal to individuals for distribution of burden of the disease
- Release of new funds to fight the virus
- Much needed help from the government agencies to Daily wage earners, small shopkeepers, homeless, sick, inland and foreign travelers
- Private laboratories to charge reasonable for each COVID-19 test.
- Strengthen community surveillance, contact tracing and containment strategy
- Medical personnel training
- Tele-consultation facility
- Focus to hotspots as fresh covid-19 cases are increasing
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
- Indian medical researchers too have succeeded in making inroads towards its treatment
- Medical interventions
- Potential drugs
- Spend more on health and research than on military and paramilitary forces
CATERING TO THE NEEDS OF THE MIGRANTS:
- Quarantined in the nearest shelter
- Provide temporary shelters, food and other essentials to the poor and needy
- Use the State Disaster Response Fund
- Employers pay wages without deduction
- Landlords have been directed not to demand one month’s rent from workers
- The transportation of all goods,without distinction of essential and non-essential
DAILY WAGE EARNERS:
- Activate DLSA Disaster Management & Unorganized workers Schemes
- Engage DLSA Paralegals to coordinate assistance for stranded/returned labourers
- Activate state and district level helplines for labourers in distress
- Engage with local NGOs who have a strong understanding of relief response to assist in relief measures
- Convert schools/appropriate spaces into shelters
QUESTIONS ASKED TO THE GOVERNMENT:
- How effective the social distancing will be?
- Are not there better ways wherein the daily wage earners, small shopkeepers, homeless, sick, inland and foreign travelers, etcare not ignored completely?
- Do not we need to establish more and more hospitals, medical research centers, virus study centers, laboratories, health camps, medicines, doctors, care givers and donors for facilitating and helping the affected?
- Don’t we need to stop rumors and create an environment of science and technology?
- Don’t we need to build more hospitals instead of expensive statues?
- Don’t we need to spend more on health and research than on military and paramilitary forces?
- Hospitals, medical research centers, virus study centers, laboratories, health camps, medicines, doctors, care givers, donors must be developed.
LOOKING BEYOND JUST DIAGNOSIS AND QUARANTINE:
- Scope for improvement in terms of development of therapeutic options in India.
- Evaluation of repurposed known drugs
- Passive immunization
- Testing for vaccine potential and new drug design
- Rapid response research and development team to handle viral onslaughts.
CRITICISM OF GOVERNMENT:
- Noise pollution-Ringing Bells and Banging Saucers
- Absence of responsible governmental actions.
- People will die of hunger, unemployment and reverse migration, diseases, frustration and depression
- Several deaths and more than 80,000 cases of infection
- No clarity on how common people would get food, water and other necessities like medicines and healthcare during the lockdown.
- No instructions on how they would maintain a safe distance from one another!
- Concerns over privacy as details of air travelers are leaked online
- Leaked database & shared by social media groups
MEASURES TO BE TAKEN BY THE GOVERNMENT:
- Rapid mobilization of relevant resources
- Medical collaboration
- Facilitate cross country movement of health professionals
- Collaboration on drug development
- Ensuring basic needs
- Framework for coordination for such scenarios
- Expand the food security system.
- Ensure universal rationing with an expanded food basket.
- Special measures for cooked food in urban areas for the vulnerable population.
- Provision of rations must be universal:
- Bring in a policy shift
- Emergency unemployment insurance
- Self-employed and gig economy workers
- Not Laying off of non-permanent employees
PACKAGE OF SOCIAL SECURITY MEASURES:
- Employers Liability
- National Provident Fund
- Social Security Movement
- Universal Schemes
HEALTH SYSTEM IN INDIA:
- The criticality of health system capacity
- Low testing capacity
- Shortage of health personnel
- Regional disparity in resources
- The weak links in the health system
- Polarization of healthcare facilities
- Health worker safety
- Ramping up testing & hospital capacity
- Involving the private sector
- State-to-State coordination
- Skilling health workers
- Recognizing the importance of Primary-care providers
- Ensuring requisite financial resources
- Release of new funds to fight the Virus
- Trace, test, treat’ mantra helped us control the virus
- Made in India Testing Kits
ECONOMIC SPIN OFFS ON THE ECONOMY:
- Lockdown hits MNREGA workers hard
- Job losses
- Drop in demand:
- Financial sector crisis: Credit flow in the economy
- Effect on trade
- Recovery package for India
- Safety net for the most affected sections:Direct cash transfer, Right to work, Access to food
- Addressing the liquidity squeeze in the financial system.
- Addressing disruptions in the economy: Textiles and Leather
- Financing the recovery package
- Reprioritizing expenditure plans
- Savings due to the drop in oil prices
ADDRESSING A WOUNDED ECONOMY:
- Export Sector suffers
- Domestic Demand
- Financial market issues
- Monetary policy
- Repayments to banks can be delayed
- Fiscal Actions-The cost of the people going to private hospitals must also be met by the government.
- The job sector-daily-wage earners and non-permanent/temporary Employees, Tourism
LOCKDOWN AND BEYOND:
- Public health catastrophe
- Fragile public health system
- Addressing essential requirements:
- Access to healthcare
- Public health response:universally accessible testing system in place to prevent transmission when the lockdown is lifted.
- Combating Misinformation:
- Involving private sector participation in healthcare:
- Economic recovery package
FEED STRAY ANIMALS:
- We need to be more compassionate
- Keep dry food and bigger water bowls that sustains for longer.
- Place food/water bowls right outside your home.
PREPARE A TEAM OF VOLUNTEERS AND GIVE THEM TRAINING ON COVID-19
- Social distancing
- Register with NITI Aayog(Only for Doctors)
- Communicate any issues or Concerns
- Do the assigned duties
PREPARE THE CONTINGENCY PLAN-IF SYSTEMS & INSTITUTIONS COLLAPSE:
- Local Governance
- Grow own Food
- Preparation of home made masks & sanitizers
- Hand Washing
DEVELOPING CONTENT ON CORONAVIRUS:
- News Updates
- Awareness Articles
MOTIVATION-HEALTHCARE WORKERS AND VOLUNTEERS:
- Compensation of their Work
- Good living conditions
ROLE OF FRONTLINE WORKERS:
Key messages to spread for prevention of COVID-19
- Practice Social Distancing
- Practice Hand Hygiene
Your role in early detection and referral
- How to use masks (or cloth covering the nose and mouth)
- Instructions for the person being Home Quarantined
- Instructions for the caretaker of the Home Quarantined person
- How to use masks (or cloth covering the nose and mouth):
FUNDRAISING TO FIGHT COVID-19:
- Citizen donations to support the government
Key Messages-Hand washing
Hands should be washed regularly at all times with soap
Hand washing to be effective it must be done properly and all 6 steps
Environment and migration: Address the issue of deteriorated environment.
Early screening, initiating travel restrictions
Increase in Healthcare facilities
Individuals can do their part
systems approach and the mobilization of all stakeholders to respond.
Economic measures to stabilize and stimulate the economy
Build guest rooms for migrants and travelers: compassionate towards migrants
Constant, consistent and credible communication to provide necessary public health guidance